Thank you for visiting our new website. Please review our Overview of Elder Law as we prepare new content for this page.
Elder law refers to the set of issues that arise as a person ages, many of which are listed below.
It is especially important to consult with an elder law attorney about these matters, since there is often very much at stake, including ownership and management of one’s life savings, the ability to pay for and to receive vital health services and basic quality of life in one’s later years.
The Law Office of David M. Goldman represents the interests of elders and their families with the highest standards of personal service. If you are concerned about any of the issues below, please call us for a free initial consultation.
- Legal considerations in the ownership and transfer of property, including making gifts, establishing trusts and preparing a will, also known as Estate Planning. This is an essential part of providing for one’s family and of planning for retirement;
- Preparing for incapacity, through powers of attorney, advanced health directives and living wills;
- Anticipating the need for expensive Long Term Care, whether at home or in an assisted living or nursing facility. This includes preparing to qualify for Maryland Medical Assistance (Medicaid), which covers nursing home care and, sometimes, nursing care in one’s own home;
- Guardianships of elders who cannot manage their own affairs and resolving disputes within a family about making decisions for vulnerable seniors;
- Signing and enforcing contracts with assisted living or nursing facilities to receive the needed care, and complying with the requirements of Medicaid;